My reason for training

My reason for training
just two beach bums

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Have I mentioned that I hate cold weather?

Greetings - from the frozen tundra of Birmingham, AL. The temp when I went outside to crank the truck......17 degrees. WOW. I don't know how anyone up north (and I mean north of Kentucky) can stand to live in the icebox for the winter. I hate cold weather. Completely. Utterly. Hate. It.
I grew up in South Alabama and I can remember playing football on Christmas day with my friends wearing blue jeans and tshirts. Those were the days........Not that we're the north pole or anything, but we haven't been above freezing since Sunday. I talked to my mom last night and she called it "bark busting cold". I haven't seen any trees that are barkless due to the cold yet - but it's still pretty cold nevertheless. :)

Training just keeps rolling along. I've given up on the idea of running before work in the mornings due to the cold weather and have started running during lunch at the wellness center here at the hospital. I ran yesterday and I'll swim at lunch today. Whoever came up with the idea of running on a treadmill obviously didn't consult a fat guy at the inception. For a fat guy - running on a treadmill is uncomfortable and awkward. First, genereally speaking,  we don't fit. The tread is about 12 inches wide and we are considerably wider than that. We sound like a rhino running on hollow wood floors and to be quite honest - it can't be that lovely a sight for everyone else either. At least when I'm running on the road by my house - you only have to see me for a few seconds and then you can put that nightmarish sight out of your mind and go on about your day. For the poor lady manning the desk in the wellness center - she gets to stare at my rump the whole time I'm running/walking. I can only imagine the stories she has for her husband/therapist. Luckily our company has a good pharmacy plan for the scripts I'm sure my training has caused her. Also - who in god's name decided to put the stop buttons at the exact point where your hand would fall if, for instance, you are fat and stumble on the midget tread and reach down to steady yourself? Ok - stop everything and start over with the height/weight/time questions........ I think we should have running stalls - kinda like the showers where we can go in and run/walk in private with maybe a tv or a radio........I might be on to something here.
Swimming is going well - I have always loved the water. No problems there. Of course I always seem to time my swims about the time the old ladies are ending their water-cise class. I'd love to hear what they think of ole tubs and his swimming goggles every Tues and Thurs at lunch.
I have been searching for a bike and I might have found a couple I like online. The local bike store wasn't helpful at all. After I explained I needed a basic road bike and the bottom of the food chain to get started they proceeded to show me the $1800 bikes. I told them my idea of basic and theirs were on completely different levels. I was thinking of a used bike for $300. Maybe I'm a little cheap but hey - I got a wife to answer to. I'll keep the search going for now.

At last I have good news on the camera fiasco. After 20 days of arguing, name calling and irate phone calls - Wolf Camera online finally decided to ship the camera I bought. It took one of the nastiest phone calls I have ever made to get it accomplished. If you know me - then you know when I say it was the worst one ever it must have been really bad. I can cuss with the best when I want. The term I've heard before is "like a drunk sailor on leave in a port full of virgins". Anyway - we'll see what the camera looks like when it gets here. For all I know they may have dragged it behind the delivery truck. We'll just have to see. Hopefully all will be well and I won't ever have to deal with Wolf Camera online ever again. That will be just fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment